Here’s what I did in 2014.
Working and studying
In spring, I concentrated on my work as a software developer. Then I decided to finally graduate from the university and asked my employer for study leave from September till April. In summer, I worked even more to save up some money for studying. In autumn, I studied more than ever. That brought me over 55 course credits (the usual rate is about 30 per semester). I’m happy I finally found success with studies - my earlier semesters have been much slower.
Travel and events
- Visited Stockholm thrice. Highlights: having coffee at Drop Coffee and discovering Adisgladis, the lifestyle store right next to Drop Coffee.
- Visited Tartu to celebrate volbripäev with Raimla. For the record: Tartu Student Villa is a pretty cool hostel.
- Visited the Isle of Anglesey in Wales. Highlights: walking about Holyhead Mountain, seeing a grey seal on a Puffin Island cruise
- Attended Electromagnetic Field 2014, the hacker camp in Bletchley, UK.
- Attended ClojuTRE 2014 in Tampere, Finland.
Stuff made by me
- Made Flappy Sine the game.
- Practiced photography.
- Fixed the golden pig.
- Posted 27 times on quanttype.
Here are some things I was impressed by in 2014:
- Best album: Merelle by Pikku Kukka
- Best back-up software: Arq
- Best coffee shop: Freese Coffee Co.
- Best low-alcohol beer: BrewDog’s Nanny State
- Best month of abstinence: hevoseton helmikuu
- Best performance art: Court of Helburg by Kimmo Modig
- Best restaurant lunch: mac’n’cheese in Juuri
- Best wine: Mouth Bomb by Winepunk
Not awarded: best movie, best book, best hamburger. I didn’t read enough good books, watch enough good films or eat good hamburgers.
Plans for 2015
This year I hope to work a bit less than last year, and to have more time to make interesting stuff. Some plans I have for this year:
- Graduate as a Bachelor of Science.
- Have a summer vacation that is at least two weeks long in one go.
- See a wild hedgehog. (I live in one of the most urban spots of Finland…)
- Read Infinite Jest.