This is a weblog about computing, culture et cetera, by . Read more.

Name this conversation pattern

There’s an annoying conversational anti-pattern for which I’d like to have a name. It goes like this:

The crux is that it does not occur to person A that person B could legitimately disagree with them. This leads to frustrating discussions for both sides. Sometimes this is done deliberately to derail conversations, but I’ve seen people do it in good faith.

I associate this pattern with highly-privileged people arguing with marginalized people, especially if the highly-privileged person is committed to the status quo but at the same time wants to be seen as an ally. You can see this happening on Twitter every now and then.

I can’t believe I’m the only one noticing this pattern. If you know a good name for it, please let me know (e-mail me or tweet at me).

Yearnote 2017

A log in a lake in Nuuksio. Out of my photos in 2017, this is my favorite.

A log in a lake in Nuuksio. Out of my photos in 2017, this is my favorite.

It’s January, so it’s time to look both at the past and at the future! Here’s some good stuff that happened to me in 2017:

My thinking about software development evolved in small but important ways:

Here’s what I hope 2018 will bring along:

I enjoyed some things in 2017:

Finally, I can’t believe it’s 2018 and Juha Sipilä’s cabinet still hasn’t fallen apart.

Secure Scuttlebutt: some technical details

I’ve poked a bit at Secure Scuttlebutt (SSB). It’s a gossip protocol for syncing append-only cryptographically verified feeds. Its main application is social networking – I recommend giving Patchwork a go if you want to see it in action.

The protocol is mostly defined by the implementation, which is an archipelago of tiny Node.js modules. To make it easier for the next person trying to figure this out, let me give you a rough overview of the outer layers of the protocol:

Edit: For more, check out the Scuttlebot Protocol guide. It looks super-infromative, but I didn’t know about it before writing this post! Thanks to André Staltz for pointing me to it.

I toyed around implementing SSB in Pony and this is how far I got. I suppose it’d be simple to implement a client that connects to a Scuttlebot server to publish a message.

I don’t how much it’d take to implement a full-blown SSB node. At least you’d need the feed synchronization. I think it’s implemented by the ssb-friends module, but I’m not 100% sure.

For more posts, see archive.